Monday, April 7, 2014

A Case of the Not-Good-Enoughs

Sometimes it's difficult for me to write, not because of writer's block. I could write if I ever started, I just get...insecure and discouraged. I feel that even if I hone my talents to the best that they could be that no one would want to read/view my work. There's always the possibility that I'm just not good enough.

Then there's the more horrible possibility that I'm decent enough, but life says I'm doomed to be ignored anyway and that my time to shine will be long after I'm dead.

That's a terrible thing for me because I write for people who live today and their current experiences. I'm not writing for my legacy or for future people. This is blasphemy, but I don't care if my work doesn't live on if people right now get as much enjoyment as they can out of it.

This has nothing to do with how 'intelligent' my work is. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the ability of my work to resonate with contemporary people. Those who live and dream and cry and work and fight and love and laugh today. That's who I want to reach.

Yet what if I can't.

No comments: