Thursday, March 13, 2014

Inciting Incident and Protagonist Flaw

Still working on that screenplay. I think I've gotten the barebones structure laid out--something that I'm kind of happy with for now. I was unsure about the climax before, but I see now that it was the whole second act and in particular the inciting incident.

Before I just had the protagonist eventually accept the call to adventure and then hilarity ensue, and she reaps the repercussions from that. However, I came upon this web site that laid out the structure of 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN and at the inciting incident it had the protagonist's flaw linked to it.

I decided to do the same. What could I throw at the protagonist that tests her weakness right from the start? Then I saw that everything began building right off to a natural climax. I didn't have to force anything like I felt I was doing before. The plot points fell into place easier too and made better sense.

So I guess the moral of the story is to get it everything in order right from the start.

No comments: